Day in and out, there are tons of waste generated in Ghana, where much waste is deposited anyhow all over the country. For that reason, we have dedicated this guide, we are going to dive deep into how to start a waste management business in Ghana.
Waste management is the activities required to manage waste from the origin of waste making to a place of disposal.
Waste management is one of the most lucrative businesses in Ghana, even though many communities are crying for more investors into the business since waste is now a burden to many people in the country.
Waste management comprises many large and small businesses, which investors have to ascertain the type of waste management that will suit their location of operation.
Types Of Waste Management Enterprise For Entrepreneurs
The following are the types of waste management business:
- Domestic waste management
- Toxic waste management
- Medical waste management
- Electric waste management
- Construction waste management
- Industrial waste management
- Chemical waste management
- Green waste management
- Nuclear waste management
Are you thinking of how awesome it will be for helping keep the country clean and making a huge profit out of it?
Then in this article, we are going to help you understand how to start a waste management business in Ghana.
Things You Must Do Before Starting Waste Management Business
Below are some of the things you need to start your waste management business in Ghana:
- Build a good business plan you can afford to implement
- Research market. This is done to make sure of how the market and competitors are doing and know the pricing
- Location of your business operation is key
- Register your business
- Equipment is needed for business operation
- Vehicle for conveying waste
- Employ staff to help in business functioning
- Ensure your business create a safe environment for employees
- Advertisement is very important
- Dust bins are required
Equipment Used In Waste Management Business In Ghana
Here are some of the equipment used in the waste management business:
1. Hand scrapers, shovels, brooms, washers
2. Lawn and garden size tractor scraping
3. Tractor scraper blades
4. Tractor front-end loaders
5. All-wheel drive-front-end loader
6. Motor grader
7. Skidsteer and articulated loaders
8. Elevating type box scrapers
9. Conveyors and stackers
10. Mechanical scrapers for gutters and alleys
11. Air-pressure and vacuum waste pumping
12. Flushed gutters and alleys
13. Piston-plunger pumps
14. Size reduction
16. Agitators, stirrers, mixers
17. Dehydrator, incinerator, renderer
19. Augers and conveyors
21. Hauled waste spreading equipment
22. Soil injection waste spreading equipment
23. Pumped waste spreading
24. Biogas production equipment
Those are the list of the main equipment you need to get for your business.
Cost Of Starting Waste Management Business In Ghana
The cost involved in starting a waste management business in Ghana comes with high start-up capital. Running this type of business is capital intensive.
Therefore, if you can’t manage the business alone, seek partnerships or other ways of financing your business.
How Profitable Is The Waste Management Business In Ghana
The waste management business is a gold mine in Ghana, and this is because the country lacks a good place for waste disposal.
This has created a lot of room for waste management companies to stand the chance of winning many clients.
Waste management companies stand the chance of making a 100% profit within the shortest period.
Best Areas To Start The Business In The Country
The following are some of the best places to set up your waste management business in Ghana:
1. Business centers
2. Residential areas
3. Industrial areas
If you start your waste management venture in any of the areas listed above, you stand a better chance of making it more profitable.
How To Run A Successful Waste Management Enterprise In Ghana
Below are some of the measures to consider for a successful waste management business:
1. Good transport vehicles
2. Good dust bins
3. Affordable pricing is a key factor
4. Always do pick up in time
5. Stay reliable to your clients
6. Good customer relationship is to be ensured
Challenges Facing The Waste Management Business In Ghana
Below are some of the challenges facing the waste management business in Ghana
1. High cost of petroleum products
2. Capital intensive, which is driving away a lot of investors
3. Bad layout in some communities makes it impossible for business to operate
Benefits Of Setting Up The Enterprise
Here are some of the benefits of setting up waste management in Ghana:
1. A constant flow of financial income
2. Job creation
3. Helps in environmental sanitation
4. Generates revenue for the government
This is the information at our disposal on how to start a waste management business in Ghana.