Everyone depends on farm produce for survival, and in today’s guide, we will share with you a piece of delightful information on how to start a farming business in Ghana.
Maybe, you’ve realized how demanding farm produce is in the lives of every soul living.
This article will be of help to you because we will provide you with a detailed guide on how to start a farm business in Ghana.
The farm business is the production of farm produce for consumption. Everyone depends on farm produce for survival.
Therefore, investing in farming in Ghana opens a great opportunity for you to provide higher-demand goods.
Farm business in Ghana can be classified in two forms, and they are:
1. Crop farming – the production of crops for consumption
2. Animal farming – the production of livestock for consumption
Measures To Consider Before Starting Your Farming Business In Ghana
The following are prerequisites to a successful farm business in Ghana:
1. Choose the right location for your farm business. The location of your farm business should be able to support production.
2. The means of transportation and delivery of goods to the market and customers should be made available.
3. Choose the right type of farming business to invest in.
4. Make research on the right farm produce to invest in.
5. Target the right market.
6. Connect with market vendors, retailers, and wholesalers.
7. Your pricing should be affordable to attract patronage.
8. Rent or buy land from the right source.
How Much Does It Cost To Start Farming Business In Ghana
Crop farming business can be established with as low as 100 Ghana cedis, providing that land is available for your business commencement.
The capital involved in starting an animal farm business can be high.
This is because you’ll have to provide a structure where you can keep livestock, and also, you’ll have to buy livestock for the starting of your business.
Therefore, it can cost in the range of (800 – 1500) Ghana cedis.
How Profitable Is Farm Business In Ghana
Farm business in Ghana is very lucrative when the right type of farm produce is chosen to invest in.
The high demand for farm produce has made the business a very profitable venture, and this is because everyone has to eat to survive.
Therefore, being the producer of such goods that life depends on will always make people patronize you, and the profit that comes with it is very impressive.
Best Areas To Start Farming Business In Ghana
To reduce the challenges you’ll face in operating your farm business, the right area of operation has to be chosen:
Some of the perfect areas to choose when operating a crop farm business are;
1. A land that can support the growth of your crops.
2. Land should be near to the market center.
3. Your choice of land for your business should be close to the roadside for easy transportation.
Perfect areas to operate your animal farm business are:
1. In cities
2. Near slaughterhouse
3. Near market centers
4. Area of easy transportation
How To Make A Successful Farm Business In Ghana
To be able to make your farm business a successful venture, the following factors have to be taken into consideration:
⦁ Choose the right farm produce.
⦁ Know the demand of the kind of farm produce you are willing to supply.
⦁ Good customer relationships should be established.
⦁ Be truthful and reliable to your customers.
⦁ Don’t overprice your product.
⦁ Find reliable retailers and wholesalers to supply to.
Challenges You May Face In Running A Farm Business In Ghana
The farm business in Ghana is faced many challenges, and some of these challenges include:
1. Bad roads for transportation – this causes a great loss to farmers when farm produce a delay in reaching the market. Sometimes, clients feel disappointed and stop patronizing you.
2. The cost and how difficult it can be to secure land for your farm business is a major challenge.
3. Crop farmers sometimes are always faced with the problems created by the change in weather.
4. Animal and crop farmers are faced with disease outbreaks and sometimes find it difficult to control.
Benefits Of Setting Up Farm Business In Ghana
Aside from the financial benefit gained in the farm business, investors are supposed to be happy to save lives by providing the public with survival food.
This is the only information we can provide on how to start a farming business in Ghana.