Is construction your field of expertise? Then, it’s time to make a profit out of your skill and knowledge. Therefore this article is going to present to our readers an educative model that can help you start a construction business in South Africa.
So, we strongly recommend you to keep reading because the detailed information on how to start a construction business awaits you below in this guide.
New structures, towns, cities, business centers, market centers, and many other improvements in human society are popping up every day, and have you realized who is responsible for raising those structures till it gets to the finished stages.
The construction contractors are responsible for raising all types of structures in South Africa. They also perform renovation and maintenance services to already established structures.
The following information is detailed on how to commence, run and manage a construction business in South Africa.
Table of Contents
What You Need To Start A Construction Business In South Africa
Before your constructing business dreams become a reality, consider the following requirements to help start your business:
1. Business plan: know that the startup cost can be huge and small depending on the type of services you can and want to provide. Therefore structuring a business plan that falls within your financial capabilities is required
2. Target market: it will be advisable to know your target market, to help know the individuals and families who are financially grounded enough to put up new structures
3. Business office: acquire a leasing office for your business. Even though your job is mainly on the field but the office will serve as a storage room for business documents and other files.
Office location must be easily located and accessible by clients.
4. Business Website: launch a construction website for your business showcasing your works, offers, services, and the credibility of your business
5. Skillset and knowledge: it doesn’t just require you to invest your money and watch your business grow, as it doesn’t work in that manner.
You’ll also need to be able to read blueprints, understand the construction fundamentals, and good communication skills with the working crew and clients.
6. Business Registration: register your business with the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) for your business registration
Register for tax at SARS
B-BBEE affidavit or certification: business owners or companies whose turnover are beyond R10 million are served with a B-BBEE certificate, and individuals or companies whose turnover falls below the R10 million mark go in for the affidavit form
COID Registration (South Africa’s Labour Department): your registration with the COID will help you acquire a letter of good standing which serve as insurance to your workers in cases where they get harmed at work
7. Business Account: a business bank account is needed to keep an eye on the financial performance of your business, your expenses, and the profit you make on every service offered
8. A Supplier: find a good supplier who is trustworthy, reliable, and transparent to do business with you. The needed materials for your construction projects are supplied directly to your construction field by the supplier to cut down on cost
9. Insurance: provide insurance to your business to be of help in times of difficulties
10. Pricing: pricing in the construction business differ depending on the scope of the job, but always make inquiries on the charged amount on the project you’re working on
Contacting already established construction business owners will help you know where to place your price.
11. Advertisement: choose the right advertising strategy for the construction market, building a business website, showcasing your work on social media, advertising space in newspapers are very effective to breakthrough into the construction market
12. Employing other contractors when you need their services like plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and others.
How Much Does It Cost To Start A Construction Business In South Africa
The cost of setting up a construction business in South Africa differs depending on the size of your business and the kind of services you offer, including the tools and equipment for business operation.
Is The Construction Business Profitable In South Africa
The construction business is a slow pacer in profit-making. This is because the most profit made is used to grow the business by purchasing new equipment, materials, and tools, but when it reaches its peak, the profit made is worth waiting.
Note that patience is key in handling your construction business in South Africa.
Best Places To Start Your Construction Business
Below are some of the best places to start setting up your construction business in South Africa:
1. In newly emerging communities
2. In advanced cities
3. Cities with new emerging construction sites
4. Developing communities
How To Make A Construction Business Successful In South Africa
To run a successful construction business in South Africa, consider the following factors:
1. Building what was presented to you
2. Staying truthful and transparent to clients
3. Good communication skill with working crew and clients
4. Don’t over-price
5. It takes patience to be successful in the construction business
6. Hard work and determination are key to your success
Challenges In The Construction Business In South Africa
Challenges are faced in every business, no matter who handles and manage the business, and below are some of the challenges facing the construction business in South Africa:
1. Aging workforce
2. Skill shortage in the construction industry
3. The business is gender bias
4. The health and safety of the working crew is a major challenge
5. Higher price of building equipment and materials
Benefits Of Setting Up A Construction Business In South Africa
The construction business offers benefits to the public and government sector in many ways, and they include:
1. Provides a handsome profit to investors and employees
2. Generates income to the government
3. Creation of jobs
4. Cutting down unemployment
5. Creation of building structures for accommodation
6. The business plays a major role in urbanization
That is the information we can provide on how to start a construction business in South Africa.