For many decades now, rice has played a major role as a household food for many families in Ghana. Maybe, the high demand for rice has convinced you to invest in the product. So in this guide, we are going to provide you with the necessary information on how to start a rice business in Ghana.
Among the foods eaten in Ghana, rice forms part of the most consumed food product.
Many can’t go a day without having a taste of rice, and the different types of rice surfacing the market today have created a wide space for consumers to choose from.
The high demand for rice on the market today is making the rice business a lucrative one and attracting many investors day in and out.
Types Of Rice Business In Ghana
Here is a list of types of rice businesses you can start in Ghana:
1. Small-scale rice business – this is the mode of operating a rice business by servicing consumers in a small quantity. This scale of operation is mostly operated by retailers who sell rice alongside many other products in small shops.
2. Large-scale rice business – this type of operation consists of wholesalers who buy rice in bulk and supply it to retailers for a profit.
Therefore, if you want to invest in a product with high demand for a better profit, you are reading the right guide because, in the next step below, we will guide you on how to start a rice business in Ghana.
What You Must Do Before You Start Rice Business In Ghana
Below are some of the things required of an investor to start a rice business in Ghana:
1. Build the best business plan that coincides with the start-up capital for your business
2. Get a good location for your business
3. Register your business under the Registrar General’s Department
4. Many consumers are interested in locally produced rice. Therefore, provide the different brands available for consumers to choose from.
5. Stock your shop with different varieties of rice to help consumers choose from what they can afford
6. Choose the right distributors and suppliers for an affordable and reasonable price
7. Know your target market
8. Delivery vehicle
Common Commodities Sold Alongside Rice
3. Tomato paste
4. Canned foods (mackerel, milk)
How Much Does It Cost To Start Rice Business In Ghana
The rice business in Ghana can be established with a capital range from 50 – 40,000 Ghana cedis. However, the huge the capital the bigger your business, but you can start with small capital and gradually expand it.
What Is The Rice Yield Per Acre In Ghana
According to AGRA, the rice yield per acre in Ghana ranges from 15 bags to 50 bags of rice.
In other words, you can harvest at least 15 bags (100kg) of rice per acre, and at most, you can also harvest 50 bags (100kg) of rice per acre.
The rice yield per acre in Ghana depends on a variety of factors.
Is The Rice Business In Ghana Profitable
As a result of the high demand for rice in households and other business ventures, rice has become a national asset that is lucrative to invest in.
Running a rice business in Ghana comes with a huge profit of (50 – 70) percent of the invested money on an annual basis.
Good Places To Start Rice Farming
Here are some of the good places to start a rice business in Ghana:
1. Market centers
2. Along busy roads
5. Business centers
How To Run A Successful Rice Farm In Ghana
The list below shows the measures for a successful rice business:
1. Stock your shop with local and foreign brands
2. Good customer relationships must be ensured
3. Good customer care is required
4. Stay reliable to customers
5. Practice a delivery system
Challenges Facing The Rice Framers In Ghana
Below are some of the challenges facing the rice business in Ghana
1. High taxation on importation has affected the business
2. Low-quality rice surfacing the market is affecting the business
Benefits Of Setting Up Rice Business In Ghana
The following are some of the benefits of setting up a rice business in Ghana.
1. A constant flow of financial income
2. Generates revenue for the government
3. It has created jobs
4. It has produced rice in abundance for consumption
This is the detailed information we have at our disposal on how to start a rice business in Ghana.
1 thought on “How To Start A Profitable Rice Business In Ghana 2021-2022”
As a small-scale (retail) business operator, basically rice business, where can I get the rice to buy into my shop and sell it to my consumers