Choosing the right and special fabric for a ceremony has been part of a Ghanaian’s life, and in this guide, we will elaborate on how to start a fabric business in Ghana.
Maybe you keep wondering where people get to patronize the best fabrics they wear on the street, for work or ceremonies.
Are you thinking of starting a fabric business after knowing the high demand for clothes in the market?
Then you find yourself in the right place because this article will provide you with the right information on how to start a clothing business in Ghana.
The clothing business has been at its peak for a very long time due to the release of new clothing designs into the fashion aspect of life.
People love to try something new, giving them a new look or improving their appearance when public.
Due to these factors, fabrics for fashion have been in higher demand for a very long time.
Table of Contents
Common Types Of Fabrics With High Demand In Ghana
Below are the common types of Fabrics sold in the clothing business in Ghana:
1. Wax Fabrics – wax prints have been the common material for clothing in Ghana. This fabric is also known as Ankara and Dutch wax prints.
Normally sold in the length of 12 yards as a full piece and 6 yards as half piece.
Some of the successful wax companies in Ghana are; Printex, GTP, ATL, Uniwax, Woodin, Vlisco, etc.
2. Batik Fabrics – batik fabrics are mostly homemade cloths. They come out with different and adorable patterns. They are mostly worn by market women.
3. Kente Fabric – are woven clothing and forms part of the Akan people of Ghana. It is considered the ceremonial cloth of the Ashantis. But recently, machine-made kente has taken over the market.
Here are some common types of products you can use fabrics to produce:
1. Ceremonial attire
5. Furniture clothing
Types Of Fabric Business In Ghana
⦁ Small Scale Fabric Business – the investor act as a retailer by purchasing a few clothes and hawking from house to house in search of clients who’ll be interested in patronizing their products.
⦁ Large Scale Fabric Business – here, the entrepreneur act as a wholesaler. Large shops stocked with different types of fabrics is what this scale of clothing business provides for the market.
Vital Factors To Consider Before You Start A Clothing Business
To start a fabric business in Ghana, the following measures have to be taken into consideration:
1. Blend the best and high-demand African fabrics with foreign clothes to create a wide range of choices for clients.
2. Choose quality and affordable when stocking your shop. This will help gain more clients.
This is because your existing clients will always recommend you to friends and family for your good services.
3. Choose reliable suppliers for your business.
4. Location of your clothing business is a prerequisite to a successful business.
5. License your business.
6. Advertisement is a key factor. Choose social media and other means of showcasing to friends about your business.
7. Employ if necessary.
How Much Does It Cost To Start Clothing Enterprise In Ghana
Starting a fabric business in Ghana and operating on a small scale can cost in the range of (1500 – 2500) Ghana cedis.
Also, operating under large scale can cost within the range of (15,000 – 25,000)
How Profitable Is Clothing Business In Ghana
The fabric business has always been at its peak because different fashion styles keep popping up every day.
Fabric is the main product that keeps fashion alive. Without clothes, fashion will be limited or may not be in existence.
The higher demand for fabric has made it a very lucrative business run by many women in Ghana.
An investor can gain about 40% profit, and that’s very impressive and good to venture into.
Best Areas To Start Fabric Shops In Accra, Kumasi, etc
Fabric business can be run at many different places, and some run the business from home and many other places. But the best places to set up this business are;
1. Market centers
2. Along busy roads
3. Commercial areas
How To Run A Successful Fabric Business In Ghana
To be successful in the clothing business in Ghana, investors have to practice the following:
1. Good customer care must be ensured
2. Good customer relationship must be practice
3. Supply good and quality products
4. Stay reliable to your clients
5. Hard work and determination is a key factor to be successful in the fabric business
6. Be ready to face fierce competition from successful players in the business.
Challenges In The Clothing Business
The only challenge faced by the business is the release of low-quality goods into the market.
You might be of great loss when you can’t distinguish between the high and low-quality fabrics, and this is because your stock goods might be of low quality, which will be difficult for clients to patronize.
Benefits Of Setting Up A Clothing Enterprise
Even though the clothing business in Ghana comes with an overwhelming profit. It doesn’t only create job opportunities for fabric business entrepreneurs.
It has also created jobs for professionals like craftsmen, tailors, seamstresses, etc.
That is the information we can provide on how to start a fabric business in Ghana.