The love for exotic frozen foods (fish & meat) by the Ghanaian residents is mind-blowing. With the high demand for frozen foods, I guess you’re thinking of investing in the cold store business. Then in this guide, we are going to elaborate on how to start a coldstore business in Ghana.
The cold store business is the type of business where exotic and local frozen foods are stored and sold for public consumption.
In most cases, the cold store serves as a place of storage for the local people, and this is when someone needs the right condition for his/her frozen food (fish and meat) but can’t provide the conditions themselves.
Then, they send their foods to the cold store for storage, and they are charged based on the number of days stored.
Types Of Cold Store Business In Ghana
There are two scales of operation in the cold store business, including:
1. Small-scale cold store business – this type of cold store operates as a retail store.
The store is stocked with small amount of frozen foods (fish & meat) and sold to the public in small quantities for consumption
2. Large-scale cold store business – here, the cold store operates as a wholesaler and retailer at the same time.
Many troops in to buy frozen fish and meat for their retail shops.
Some also buy in small quantities for immediate consumption.
This is the type of cold store operation that serves as a storage place for the local people
Maybe you’ve seen a cold store operation in your vicinity and realized the rate at which people troop in to buy frozen fish and meat for food.
Things You Must Do Before Starting Coldstore Business In Ghana
Below are some of the things you’ll need to do to start your cold store business in Ghana:
- Build a good business plan, and it should coincide with your start-up capital
- Your choice of business location
- Choose a catchy business name
- Register business
- Right distributors or suppliers when stocking your cold store
- Employ staff for business operation
- Know your target market
- A business vehicle is needed for stocking your shop
- Strategize a delivery system
- Advertisement is key
Equipment Used In The Coldstore Business In Ghana
The list below are some of the equipment used in the cold store business in Ghana:
- Freezer and refrigerator
- Weighing scale
- Cutting board
- Measuring tape
- Power generator
- Mini carrier truck
How Much Does It Cost To Start Coldstore Business In Ghana
The cost of running a cold storage business in Ghana depends on the scale of operation you can establish.
Running small-scale cold store business costs between 2,000 – 5,000 Ghana cedis depending on the size of your shop.
A large-scale operation cost between 40,000 to 70,000 Ghana cedis.
Is The Coldstore Business Profitable In Accra?
There is a high demand for the products sold in the cold store.
If you want to verify the demand for exotic frozen foods (fish & meat) in Ghana, locate a nearby cold store in operation and watch the number of people who troop in and out of the business premises.
The profit made in the cold storage business is overwhelming, and an investor can gain about 70 to 100 percent of invested capital within the shortest period.
Best Places To Set Up A Coldstore Enterprise
Below are some of the best places to set up a cold storage business in Ghana:
1. In cities
2. Communities with less competition
3. Along busy roads
4. Market centers
5. Business centers
How To Run A Successful Coldstore Business In Ghana
The following are some of the measures to consider for a successful cold store business in Ghana:
- Stock your shop with the right products.
- Choose high-demand products when stocking your shop.
- Build a loyal customer base.
- The affordable pricing of products is very key in gaining and maintaining customers.
- Good customer relationships must be established.
- Your business location should be easy to find and accessible.
- Set up a delivery system that will make customers fall in love with your services.
- Choose the right distributors and suppliers for reasonable pricing when stocking your shop.
- Stay reliable to your customers, don’t make them look elsewhere to meet their demand.
Challenges Facing The Coldstore Business In Ghana
Here are some of the challenges facing the cold store business in Ghana:
1. Power fluctuation
2. Power cost
Benefits Of Setting Up The Enterprise
Below are some of the benefits of setting up a cold storage business in Ghana:
1. Constant flow of financial income
2. Generates revenue for the government
3. Creation of jobs
4. Serves as a storage place for frozen foods
5. It has always make frozen foods available for food and businesses
That all is the information we have for you on how to start a Coldstore business in Ghana.