There has been an increase in the number of people who want to travel for business or the pleasures that come with it, making many investors tune their attention on how to start a travel and tour business. Then in this guide, we will inform you on how to start a travel and tour business in Ghana.
The increase in the middle-class people of the country has made many gains interest in the term “travel and see,” many also go on this trip for business purposes.
The demand for the travel and tour business keeps rising. Many want to travel for different reasons but hate to go through the procedures to secure travel documents by themselves for their journey.
Others don’t know where to visit for their pleasure trip, so they depend solely on travel and tour companies for their packages to choose what will suit them.
Table of Contents
Types Of Travel & Tour Business In Ghana
There are four types of travel and tour operations, including the following:
1. Inbound tour business – this is the type of travel and tour where the operator brings tourists into a country as a group with the same package or based on individual packages. The tour operator handles all the arrangements in the host country.
2. Outbound tour business – this type of operation is where the travel and tour operator gathers travelers from their country for an international trip for leisure or business purposes.
3. Domestic tour business – this type of travel and tour operation is where the travel and tour operator sell packages to travelers to tour their native country.
4. Receptive tour business – this type of system provides travel and tour products to travel operators or travel agents. Note that they don’t sell packages direct to travelers.
Categories In Travel & Tour Business
Here are the two categories of travel and tour business:
1. Travel Agent – to be accepted as a travel agency in Ghana, the manager, and at least one other officer of the company should have completed a certified ticketing course or IATA/UFTA diploma and two years experience within the last four with an IATA approved agency or airline.
2. Tour Operators – to be a tour operator in Ghana, the manager and at least one of the officers should have completed a degree in tourism or certified courses with competency in tour guiding/ground handling.
Things You Must Do Before Starting A Travel And Tour Business In Ghana
The following are some of the things you’ll need to do to start a travel and tour business in Ghana:
1. Build a good business plan
2. Choice of a good location
3. Register your business
4. Know your target market
5. Advertise your business
How To Register A Travel & Tour Business Under The Ghana Tourism Authority
To register under the Ghana Tourism Authority, provide the following mandatory requirements for your business registration:
a. Certificate of incorporation
b. Certificate to commence business
c. Company regulations
d. An acceptance letter from certified accountants or auditors firm
2. Registered office details
3. The category of operation your business falls under
a. Travel and tour agency
b. Travel and tour operators
4. Proof of bank account in the name of the company
5. Basic operational information
a. Reservation system
b. GTA information materials/other promotion materials
c. Planned tour program for tour operators
a. Application form
b. Registration fee
c. License fee
d. 1% tourism levy
How Much Does It Cost To Start A Travel And Tour Business In Ghana
The cost involved in starting a travel and tour business in Ghana is between (6,000 – 8,000) Ghana cedis. Note that the cost involved might change depending on new policies from the Ghana Tourism Authority.
Is The Travel And Tour Business Profitable In Ghana
Travel and tour business is one of the most lucrative businesses with a short-term income. Therefore, the profit that comes with being a successful player in the business is out of expectation.
An investor can gain between (80 – 100) percent of profit within the shortest period.
Best Places To Start A Travel And Tour Business In Ghana
Below are some of the best places to start your travel and tour business in Ghana:
1. Along busy roads
2. Commercial areas
3. Tertiary institutions
4. Business centers
How To Run A Successful Travel And Tour Business In Ghana
The list below is some of the things to ensure a successful travel and tour business:
1. Pleasing and flexible packages are required to attract patronage
2. Your business location should be serene and easily accessible
3. Good customer care must be practiced
4. Good customer relationship should be ensured to encourage them to share their experience with friends and families
5. Provide good and quality services
Challenges Faced By The Travel And Tour Business
Below are some of the challenges faced by the travel and tour business operators in Ghana:
1. Unqualified and fake agencies surfacing the business is creating fear for clients
2. Overpricing of packages is slowing down the business
Benefits Of Setting Up Travel And Tour Business In Ghana
The list below is some of the benefits gained from setting up a travel and tour business:
1. A flow of financial income
2. Generates revenue for the government
3. Job creation
4. Improve upon lives
That is the necessary information we have at our disposal on how to start a travel and tour business in Ghana.